Greg Holland has handled cases in State and Federal Court in every corner of the Commonwealth of Virginia for more than 35 years. For the last 25 years, he has represented Class I and Short Line Railroads in Federal Employers Liability Act, trespasser and property damage claims and crossing accidents. Those cases have included catastrophic injuries and wrongful death claims.
Mr. Holland represents a national hotel chain in all areas of personal injury, including premises liability, automobile and food poisoning cases. He has an insurance coverage practice representing both carriers and insureds.
Mr. Holland has the unique distinction of being selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 editions of the Best Lawyers in America in both defendants’ personal injury litigation and plaintiffs’ personal injury litigation. He was also selected in those editions of Best Lawyers of America in insurance law and mass tort litigation/class actions. Mr. Holland has tried more than 100 jury trials to verdict.
- Representation of a Class I Railroad in actions brought by train crews resulting from the head on collision of two freight trains that included claims of severe physical injuries, traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Representation of a Class I Railroad in a crossing accident resulting in quadriplegia to a motor vehicle passenger.
- Representation of a Class I Railroad resulting in paraplegia to an employee injured in a rail yard accident.
- Obtained summary judgment in the Circuit Court of the City of Danville for an assisted living facility in a wrongful death action resulting from a severe burn injury.
- Representation of defendants and plaintiffs in motor vehicle wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases.
- Representation of various agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia in personal injury and property damage cases.
- Representation of insurance carriers and insureds in insurance coverage disputes.
- Defending Traumatic Brain Injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Claims, Southeast Claims Conference, June 2009
- The Investigation and Handling of Railroad Injuries, Virginia Railroad Association, October 2011
- Moderator/Participant in Continuing Education Legal Presentations involving Virginia Trial Practice and What Jurors Find Persuasive
- Hampden-Sydney College (B.A., Cum Laude)
- University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law
- Law Review
- Moot Court Board
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS:
- Virginia, 1980
- The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
BAR ACTIVITIES AND LEGAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- The Bar Association of the City of Richmond (President 2009)
- Virginia State Bar (Judicial Nominations Committee, 2002-04, Vice-Chair 2004)
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
AWARDS / RATINGS:
- Mr. Holland has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards.
- Mr. Holland was selected for inclusion in the 2013 – 2017 editions of “The Best Lawyers in America” in the categories of:
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Insurance Law
- Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants
- Mr. Holland was named to the Virginia Super Lawyers list, 2006 – 2007, 2010 – 2017.