Kevin works in a variety of areas of the law with a primary focus in litigation. Specifically, Kevin focuses on the defense of personal injury and property damage claims as a member of Setliff Law’s Transportation Team. In addition to litigation, Kevin specializes in the analysis of complex Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act and other compliance issues for the firm’s transportation clients across the country.
Kevin also has significant experience representing the firm’s clients in traffic court for a wide variety of infractions, including reckless driving, speeding, operating an uninsured vehicle, following too close, and improper lane changes. Kevin has also successfully represented a number of the firm’s transportation clients in overweight load tickets across the Commonwealth. Kevin has also had multiple Department of Transportation inspection violations overturned through the administrative appeals process.
Prior to joining Setliff Law, Kevin gained experience working in and observing many areas of the law in both the public and private sectors. While pursuing his degree in Finance at Virginia Tech, Kevin worked at multiple litigation firms in the Richmond area, and in doing so cultivated his passion for the law. In the year following the completion of his undergraduate degree, Kevin went on to join the Virginia Office of the Attorney General’s Public Safety Division in the Special Prosecutions and Organized Crime Section.
While in law school at Washington and Lee, Kevin handled indigent clients’ cases in their entirety for the Immigrant Rights Clinic as part of the School’s third year experience and practice program. Prior to graduating law school, Kevin also interned for the Honorable Patricia Kelly, participating in both civil and criminal cases in the Caroline County and Hanover County Circuit Courts.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (B.S. – Finance, 2011)
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D., 2015)
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS:
- Virginia, 2015
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
BAR ACTIVITIES AND LEGAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Trucking Association Safety and Human Resources Council – Secretary
- Defense Research Institute
- American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association
- Virginia Movers and Warehousemen’s Association
- Virginia Statewide Traffic Management Committee – Major Crash Incident Response Group
- Vice Chairman of the Virginia Trucking Association Safety & Human Resources Council
- Completed Motor Fleet Accident Investigation Course (through the North American Transportation Management Institute)
- Setliff Law Trucking Newsletter, Fall 2015
SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS:
“Protecting your business – anticipating and handling typical legal issues,” 2019 Haulers Workshop, Suffolk, Virginia, January 2019
“Dealing with an OSHA (or VOSH) Citation,” Virginia Loggers Association Conference, Virginia, April 2018
“Dealing with an OSHA (or VOSH) Citation,” Virginia Movers and Warehousemen Association, Virginia, January 2018
“Defense of the Catastrophic Accident Claim,” VTA Safety and Human Resources Council, Virginia, January 2018
“Anatomy and Defense of a Serious Truck Accident” Panel Discussion and Mock Trial, Virginia Trucking Association, Annual Safety Council Meeting, Staunton, Virginia, April 2017
“Anticipating the Electronic Logging Device Mandate,” Maryland Motor Truck Association, Eastern Shore Chapter, April 2016
Mock Trial on “Defense of Brain Injury Cases” for Virginia Movers and Warehousemen’s Association, Legal Briefing Meeting, Virginia, February 2016