Mr. Kaseorg is a commercial litigator and civil defense attorney with a diverse practice ranging from commercial lease enforcement, to representing corporations in contract and business disputes, to representing individuals and businesses in employment discrimination and FLSA wage/hour litigation, to defending businesses in environmental cleanup lawsuits, to representing trucking and railroad companies in injury and wrongful death suits. Mr. Kaseorg regularly appears and advocates at all levels of Virginia trial courts, including as lead counsel, and has experience with motions practice and oral arguments in Federal district court.
Mr. Kaseorg’s past litigation experience includes representing clients in UCC sales disputes, defending clients in products liability and toxic tort lawsuits, pursuing claims in high-value real estate contract disputes involving medical office complexes, and representing shareholders in mass-action mortgage and asset backed securities lawsuits in connection with the 2008 financial crisis.
Prior to becoming a litigator, Mr. Kaseorg worked as a regulatory attorney for a large law firm in Richmond, where he performed regulatory analysis for health care providers and plan sponsors, counseled clients in False Claims Act (FCA) proceedings, assisted clients in Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse prevention, and represented hospitals in Certificate of Public Need (COPN) and other licensing applications and appeals.
Outside of work, Mr. Kaseorg regularly judges law school moot court competitions and is an avid runner and Ultimate Frisbee player. Mr. Kaseorg serves as Commissioner for Church Hill Ultimate, a local sports organization. Mr. Kaseorg is also an active member of Remnant Church, where he serves as a worship leader – playing electric guitar. Mr. Kaseorg is also a Junior Board Member for Historic Richmond, a 501(c)3 non-profit that works to encourage preservation, rehabilitation and revitalization in the city.
Mr. Kaseorg also is the Setliff Law Social Media Manager.
Washington and Lee University School of Law, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Washington and Lee Law Review, Staffwriter
- 2013 ABA Appellate Advocacy Competition, 4th Place National Overall Advocate
University of Virginia, Bachelor of Arts, Economics
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- The Supreme Court of the United States
- Virginia Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi
- Federalist Society
- Regularly appears as lead counsel for commercial lease suits on behalf of S&P 100 commercial property group – successfully obtaining trial judgments ranging from approximately $40,000 to over $1,000,000
- Briefed and argued motion to dismiss as lead counsel in Federal court on behalf of regional transportation company in a multi-million-dollar Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) environmental cleanup lawsuit
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment on brief in premises liability case in Federal court for large, multi-national fitness chain
- Brought and argued ICDR arbitration in multi-million-dollar international franchising case
- Obtained multiple dismissals and defense verdicts in traffic cases for large regional trucking and transportation firms, including on appeal
- Time Out: the hidden dangers of FLSA overtime liability for local transportation companies, Setliff Law (April 2022)
- Keeping Track – Company record keeping practices in the context of CERCLA liability, Setliff Law (March 2022)
- Elon Musk to the mooooon (or the courtroom): when the SEC stops your memelord grind, Setliff Law (January 2022)
- (Trade) dressing for success – Nike’s latest weapon in the battle for the 70-billion-dollar global sneaker market,Setliff Law (August 2021)
- Lucky Strike: Tracking Virginia’s Approval and Licensing of Casinos and Sports Betting, Setliff Law (March 2021)
- Up a Highway Without a Pedal, Setliff Law (October 2020)
- Josh Fairfield on Music Copyright Law (Recorded Interview / Podcast), Setliff Law (September 2020)
- Richmond’s Ban on Handheld Devices Is Now in Effect – Virginia Statewide Law to Follow in 2021, Setliff Law (July 2020)
- Virginia’s Unlawful Detainer Action, Setliff Law (April 2020)
- Richmond City voting to join Spotsylvania County and Hampton City in banning handheld cell phone use while driving, Setliff Law (December 2019)
- Virginia Passes Two New Driving Laws, Setliff Law (October 2019)
- DOT and OMB mulling changes to trucker drive time regulations, Setliff Law (August 2019)
- Library of Congress Releases 2018 DMCA Exemptions, Lawful Thoughts, Spotts Fain (October 2018)
- Co-author, Specialty Physician Practice Acquisition Trends In 2014, Law360 (February 2015)
- Remedies Available for Medicare Part C Organizations to Recover Overpayments, Bender’s Health Care Law Monthly, LexisNexis, 2014-6 Bender’s Health Care Law Monthly 01 (2014) (June 2014)
- Flirting With Disaster: CDA 230’s Overbroad Protection of Dating Websites and the Unenforceability of Reputational Assertions, Michigan IT Lawyer (October 2013)
- Wanderlust: The ‘curious exploration’ partial-access problems in campus Local Area Networks, Michigan IT Lawyer (May 2013)
- Co-author, Discovery in MABSL, § 8:131 – 39 in Mortgage and Asset Backed Securities Litigation Handbook, Thomson Reuters (December 2012)
- Shareholder Inspection Rights and ‘Proper Purpose’ in a Social Entrepreneurship Context, Business Law Practice Note, Richmond Bar Association (March 2012)