Commercial litigation is a general term that applies to any type of litigation or controversy related to business issues. Commercial disputes can range from relatively simple, uncomplicated matters, to highly complex matters. Improperly handled litigation can lead to disastrous results and additional, unnecessary expenses for your business. Unfortunately, litigation is often a fact of modern business life, so when you are faced with commercial litigation issues, you need the assistance of an experienced commercial litigation attorney.
Setliff Law attorneys represent plaintiffs and defendants in business cases. We have significant experience handling cases involving breach of contract, unfair competition and other business torts, antitrust, construction disputes, intellectual property, commercial real estate disputes (including commercial landlord/tenant matters), shareholder and partnership disputes, employment disputes and covenants not to compete, creditors’ rights and wills and estate litigation. Our commercial clients include multi-state energy companies, national hotel chains, one of America’s largest fitness clubs, national commercial landlords, two of the nation’s largest railroads, several of the nation’s largest trucking companies, and a host of local and statewide businesses.
Alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration, are often time and cost efficient ways to resolve commercial disputes. In fact, some commercial contracts require arbitration as an alternative to litigation. Setliff Law attorneys have the skills necessary for success in both the courtroom and at the negotiating table.
The following are some of our attorneys’ representative engagements:
- Representation of defendants in a major healthcare antitrust case in U.S. District Court in which plaintiffs capitulated during trial.
- Obtained a declaratory judgment and a decree of specific performance on behalf of the purchaser enforcing a $39,000,000 real estate contract involving 1,898 acres in Chesterfield County, Virginia. Client was also awarded attorney’s fees and costs of $364,000. The judgment was affirmed by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Successful representation of beneficiaries of trusts with assets exceeding $100,000,000 in litigation to remove and replace trustee.
- Obtained a defense verdict and award of attorney’s fees on behalf of client who was sued for alleged breach of contract to convey seven acres of valuable commercial property on an arterial thoroughfare in Richmond’s prime commercial location.
- Obtained a $454,681 real estate tax refund from a Virginia locality on behalf of the former owner of a major commercial development.
- Obtained a verdict in excess of $500,000 after trial in the Circuit Court of the City of Richmond on a “successor liability” claim against the purchaser of the assets of a corporation which owed plaintiffs deferred payments under a buy/sell agreement.
- Successful representation of plaintiffs in will contest case involving substantial assets.
- Defense of a multimillion dollar breach of contract and fraud claim in federal court in North Carolina arising out of the sale of a large manufacturer.
- Successful representation of defendant urologists in an antitrust case in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia involving the practice of urology.
- Federal trade secret litigation between two successful money managers.
- Disputes with dealerships on behalf of a major automobile manufacturer.