It goes without saying that you would not see a dermatologist if you needed cardiac surgery, so why seek litigation counsel and advice from a firm without extensive trial experience? The attorneys at Setliff Law have tried more than 100 jury trials to verdict, and have even more experience trying cases to verdict in bench trials. This extensive experience in trying cases provides our firm with the knowledge necessary to handle our clients’ cases if they go to trial.
Balancing the facts of each case with the needs and demands of the client, we conduct extensive but efficient discovery in order to gain a complete understanding of the case. Our attorneys utilize discovery, rules of procedure and rules of evidence to aggressively seek pre-trial disposition of cases whenever appropriate.
The following are some of our attorneys’ representative engagements:
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in catastrophic injury cases involving the trucking industry.
- Defended various agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia in personal injury and property damage cases.
- Virginia trial counsel for national trucking company regarding personal injury and commercial litigation.
- Virginia trial counsel for several commercial landlords for landlord/tenant and premises liability litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court against a national insurance carrier in a case involving the spoilage of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of food, the bankruptcy of the insured, and the refusal of the warehouse liability carrier to pay.
- Obtained liability insurance coverage for a multi-count antitrust conspiracy, unfair competition lawsuit brought against a large Virginia-based health care conglomerate.
- Represented various insurance providers in subrogation matters, including those involving automobile policies, maritime/marine policies, and general liability policies.
- Represented manufacturers that produce asbestos-containing products against claims that the plaintiffs’ exposure to those products resulted in contraction of mesothelioma and other respiratory ailments.
- Represented major railroads in claims involving toxic exposure to asbestos, diesel fumes, solvents and silica.
- Represented a major petroleum company in claims alleging leaks from underground storage tanks in retail gasoline stations.
- Represented a major trucking company in its defense of a diesel fume exposure action.
- Defended a construction company in a toxic mold action.
- Coordinating and trial counsel for two of the nation’s Class I railroads and the nation’s largest passenger rail carrier in litigation involving claims and suits by employees allegedly injured as a result of exposure to occupational workplace hazards, including asbestos, silica, diesel fumes, soaps, solvents and other chemical fumes, and hearing loss and exposure to repetitive stress.
- Virginia trial counsel for two of the nation’s Class I railroads and the nation’s largest passenger rail carrier in traumatic injury cases to employees and non-employees, including defense of Federal Employers Liability Act claims, crossing accidents, trespasser claims and property damage claims.
- Routinely represent companies in intellectual property disputes in federal court involving copyright, patent, and trademark infringement.
- Represent companies in state and federal court in complex business disputes among ownersclaims counsel for large property losses in state and federal court.
- Administer complex multi-claimant third party coverage cases nationally.