Kevin has practiced law as a civil litigator for twenty years, almost entirely representing the insurance industry in one capacity or another. For a number of years his focus has been on representing property and casualty insurers in disputes over insurance coverage in a variety of contexts ranging from large property losses and complex questions of casualty insurance coverage implicated by underlying commercial litigation to disputes in the personal-lines realm involving homeowners and personal auto insurance coverage. Kevin has also spent a considerable part of his career defending insureds in a wide range of disputes as insurance defense counsel. In recent years he has occasionally represented commercial clients directly in complex business litigation in both federal and state courts.
Prior to attending law school Kevin pursued advanced degrees in medieval history, passing his doctoral examinations in 1993 before opting to change fields in the face of a negative turn in the academic job market. He has published journal articles in both law and in medieval history, the latter including a groundbreaking study of the expansion of the English Jewish community in the mid-twelfth century.
Away from the office and the courtroom, Kevin is an avid outdoorsman who can be found afield during the fall and winter and casting a line in local streams and rivers during the spring and summer. He is also an ardent Bayern Munich fan, and on weekends spends his time tuned into Bundesliga games as often as possible. He is supported in both work and play by his wife, Edna, son Byron, and dog, Pacquiao. For the record, he does not have a cat named Mayweather.
- Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary, J.D.
- University of Washington, PhD
- University of Toronto, M.A.
- College of William and Mary, B.A.
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS:
- U.S District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
BAR ACTIVITIES AND LEGAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Charter Member, Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court
- Treasurer, Richmond Claims Association
- Member of the Virginia Pond of the Honorable Order of the Blue Goose (property insurance professionals)
- Member of Knights of Columbus Council 9953
SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS:
“Contract Analysis for Casualty Adjusters” – 2019 Eastern Regional Adjusters Conference of the PLRB (October 2019)
“Making the Most of an Expert in an Examination Under Oath” – May 6, 2019 Mid-Valley Claims Association forum, Harrisonburg, Virginia (with Leslie Robson, CPA)
“Reservation of Rights Letters for Casualty Claims: Effective Letters and Strategies” – 2016 Eastern Regional Adjusters Conference of the PLRB (November 2016)
“‘But it Was an Accident . . . or was It?’ Determining Whether a Subcontractor’s Faulty Workmanship that Damages Other Work Qualifies as an ‘Occurrence’ Under a Commercial General Liability Insurance Contract in Light of Erie Insurance Exchange v. Salvi” – 2014 Client Open House (May 2014)
“What a Steal: Virginia Insurance-Contract Law and Uninsured Theft Losses” – 2011 Client Open House (September 2011)
“Holding the Bag: an Insurer’s Rights against an Independent Agent under Virginia Law,” THE CLAIMSMAN (Summer 2017)
“What a Steal: Virginia Insurance-Contract Law and Uninsured Theft Losses,” THE CLAIMSMAN (Winter 2012)
“Caveat Vendor: Automobile Dealerships and the Defense of Federal Consumer Protection Litigation under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,” 14 J. CIV. LITIG. 123 (2002) (co-author)
“The Expansion of the English Jewish Community in the Reign of King Stephen,” 25 Albion 2, 177-192 (1993)